Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hold fast, Stay true, Learn, Trust, Grow....Continue seeking, Continue living

What you are about to read is what some would define as a testimony. I hope those who might read this will come away with hope, renewed faith, new faith, or even an opening of the heart and mind to seek more.

Since May 2007, when Kim & I got married, I graduated college and we headed to our new residence in Northeast Tennessee, a lot has happened. In these three and a half years, I worked full-time as a temp employee for only eight of the forty-three months we resided here. The rest of the time I worked part-time, mostly at a local fitness facility. It was during this time that God was doing most of the work. It was in my day-to-day struggles of seeking full-time employment here, there and everywhere, that Christ was teaching me, molding me, and refining me into a better, more mature person. There were a few instances where things got quite tight financially. But it was in these times, God showed up to remind us Who was in charge and that where Scripture states that if He provides for the birds of the air and the fish of the sea, that He will surely meet the needs of those whom He has entrusted and created to rule over these animals. He came through every time in all sorts of different ways. It was in these instances that increased our trust and faith in Christ.

Also, needless to say, I had some free time on my hands. And in no way am I boasting or patting myself on the back, but I was able to develop a daily time with my Savior. And it has been in this time of Scripture reading, prayer, devotions and being quiet to meditate upon Him and His Word that I am most thankful. For had I worked full-time, perhaps I would not have been able to build a stronger, more secure foundation. And had I not been blessed and fortunate to have the opportunity to develop this time, who knows how I would have behaved and acted when times did seem a bit harder. But it was by His plan and love that the Holy Spirit within stirred me and motivated me to want to spend this time with Him. And it was in this time that His greatest work took place. He has taught me so much. He has revealed even more to me. And He has refined me, thus allowing me to see things about myself that I didn't know existed. Sinful things about myself that are selfish. I now realize things about me that I was unaware of prior to this and though it has been difficult to realize that these thoughts and actions come from myself, I am grateful that Christ has let them be known to me. For it is in this process, that God is bringing such darkness to the surface, scraping these things slowly away, and allowing His light to shine forth. It is here that He is increasing my knowledge, my strength, my Christian maturity, and my faith. And to me, this is the best thing that could have ever taken place.

Only God knows why He needed 3.5 years to work upon me in this manner. But I know one thing, I am thankful, I am blessed and I am excited to see how He wishes to use me. In this time, I have also seen my wife grow and begin her own journey. It is from God's work upon my heart that He has used my personal spiritual growth to be put on display for her to see. And it is here she has come to desire more of Him. And for that I can only sing His praises. It excites me to see how He will use us as a Christian couple.

We hear it so often and witness it everyday, but we live in a country that is selfish, greedy, covetous, and lustful. We live at a time where more and more people are impatient and want things at the next split second. And if they do not get it, they handle it poorly and place blame on anyone and anything except at themselves.

My prayer is that you slow down. To examine your life. To question things. To seek. To not live for yourself but for others. And to look a little closer at Jesus Christ and who He was while He lived here on earth and who He is today. And may you come away from reading a little about my life these past few years to realize that hard times, discouraging times come to us all. It is how we handle them that matters. It is who you rely upon and trust that will help you out. Not to make things easier at the snap of a finger. But to rely and trust Someone beyond yourself and your own human energy, mind, and strength. We live in a sinful world. Therefore, bad things are going to happen and they will happen to everyone: good and bad, Christian & nonbeliever. It is how we handle them that matter. This earth we live on is temporary. This life we currently have is short. It is what is to come that truly matters.

1 comment:

  1. Amen brother. This is a great post. It makes me happy reading about the transformation the Lord has worked in your heart these past few years. I know it's been difficult for you, but now you are coming through it, with fruits of the Spirit to show.

    Blessings to you bro! Can't wait to see you in Cincy!

    ReplyDelete